Sunday 25 October 2009

Gallery: A day in Liverpool

There had been a previous exhibition I had wanted to go to in Liverpool but I had sadly missed the date, but a day trip to see other ehibitions was on the agenda. My 'yellow banana' (my car) took the four of us on a bright but chilly Saturday of the 17 Th Oct, where we first went to the Tate, as obviously this would take the longest!

Liverpool is an undiscovered city for myself, I've been here on days out but don't think Ive ever really appreciated the amount it has to offer to a designer myself. Its full of grand architecture, hidden history and a vast scale of galleries that could take several days to go round. As we only had one day I definitely want to go back to see some more exhibitions and the city itself.

Tate Liverpool: The gallery had three exhibitions on, but we only went to see two.
Firstly Mark Rothko's 'The Seagram Murals'.
As always, I hate to read the description of the work before seeing the work, as I feel it overwhelms my own judgement and opinion. On this occasion, his paintings I did not quite understand, I didnt quite know what I was meant to experience. There was a sense of darkness, depression maybe? Reminding me of being alone, with the illusion that it was moving as I was becoming absorbed into it.
When reading the description I couldn't have been more correct.

For 'The Seagram Murrals' Rothko was influenced by Michelangelo's Laurention Library in Florence, with its blind windows and oppressive atmosphere it was 'Just that kind of feeling I'm looking for'. Rothko wanted the viewer to feel trapped in a room where all the doors and windows are bricked up, so all that they can do is butt their heads forever against the wall. It was an experience of compact space and oppression that disturbed me.




First Floor: DLA Piper Series: This is Sculpture.
Curated by Michael Craig Martin.
There were three rooms to explore; Sculpture the physical world,
Sculpture remixed and Performing Sculpture.
The first room had selected works on display chosen by Craig Martin, whom I love very much anyway. He aimed to challenge conventional notions of sculpture by exploring the relationships to a range of processes and practises within art today, and how they engage with modern life. He selected art that makes people talk and some of the well known artists work on display included Man Ray, Salvador Dali, Andy Warhol and many more.
All the rooms were filled with amazing artists and work that did relate to the project I'm currently working on Silence. Ive had to chose my favourite artists, otherwise the list would be endless, so here goes:



Michelangelo Pistoletto - The door

Richard Long - South bank circle

Jeff Koons - The balls represent death.
The ultimate state of being.

Sir Edward Paolozzi - Michelangelo's 'David'
This reminded me and Stacie of a miniature concrete statue
(like the pyramids in Egypt)


Rene Magritte - The future of statues


Carl Andre - 144 Magnesium square


The work that really did influence me was the work of artists Helen Chadwick, John Coplans and Charles Ray. They were personal, and really made me respond to the imagery, I felt like I was interrupting, stumbling in on something from an outer perspective point of view.
Absolutely amazing imagery.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...